Plumbing problems are some of the most common that occur in households. It is important to know how to work on simple plumbing jobs, such as connecting a garden hose to an outdoor faucet. Sometimes outdoor faucets don’t have threaded attachments for attaching hoses, but they do have an opening under them with threads inside it. If this is the case, all you need is a small attachment called a “faucet adapter” that can be bought at any hardware store or home improvement center. There are many different types of adapters but most are very easy to use and will only require twisting on.
Steps to connect garden hose to outdoor faucet
- Turn off the water to the faucet. To do this, locate the main water cut-off valve near where your faucet is attached to the house or outside wall. Place a bucket under your outdoor faucet before continuing.
- Unscrew cap on top of adapter by turning it counterclockwise.
- Screw on garden hose adapter by hand until it is snug (do not use tools like pliers or wrench). The rubber washer should be inside the fitting and the smooth metal surface of the cap will face outward when properly connected. Apply Teflon tape clockwise to threads if needed.
- Turn on water supply to faucet using main cut-off valve (remember to place bucket under your outdoor faucet first!). Turn on the faucet and let water run until it runs clear or there are no air bubbles coming out of spout. If you notice any leaks, tighten connection further with an adjustable wrench.
- Attach a hose from your newly installed garden hose adapter to your lawn sprinkler system or to a garden hose.
- Turn off water supply before disconnecting the hose from your adapter and put the cap back on top of the adapter so it is ready for use next time.